Friday, March 16, 2007

 

Vanity Fare - Early In The Morning

Page 1 (Bell) 2502 / 1970 - A very nice and probably underrated pop psych LP, with pleasing harmonies and songwriting. The instrumentation is like the New Colony Six or the Monkees, as these Brits are somewhere in that late 60's period where they switched from identical costume suits to SF Haight-Ashbury hippie gear. This album has the hit 'hitchin a ride' on side 2, and its only one of two that they recorded, yet the band continues to this day with NONE of the members from this album. It appears that all of the songs are written by outsiders, but its a great pop listen.

I found this one among my stacks as I was re-evaluating my collection last night. There are too many records that I have not heard yet; so many that it's overwhelming all at once to realize. This copy is unpriced, and has some tape wear around the edges. It is available at Craig Moerer's for just $8. I would value it at $5-$15 as well depending on condition. The cover shows the five members of the band on a stone beach at low tide.

Overall grade is B/nice slice from the time, without too much that really stands out or falls flat. I would enjoy every song individually more than all at once. I especially like the songs "man child" and "music music music". This one is a keeper for the stacks, once again.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?