Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Tirez Tirez - Etudes

Object Music OBJO 13 / 1980 - this is the bomb. Mikel Rouse plays a doppleganger to David Byrne. Maybe its my complete and thorough absence of Talking Heads knowledge, but this is what Talking Heads could have done. The monotonous and minimalistic synth flushes and repetitions are a precursor to newer bands like Pinback or Kings of Convenience (Erlend Oye) but harken to early New Wave, with guts. New York based band, but originally from the midwest. Mikel Rouse is also mentioned in the same breath with Tuxedomoon.

The jacket artwork of Etudes is choice. Three and four leaf clovers appear in close-up on a thick glossy jacket. The band name is a French word meaning 'pull' and pronounced 'teh-ray teh-ray' i suppose. The song "Razorblade" is a synth guided missile and in the wake of John Ruth, David Byrne, Gary Numan and synth bass hooks everywhere, please find this record for yourself.

This one cost me fifteen bucks, but I knew i was getting something of quality before I even got the first listen, which by the way happened to be at the store with JH. I can only find one available copy of Etudes on any site, it is on LP, coming from Germany at 35. It has never been released on cd, but at least you can find most LP's by this band on ebay.

I have given this LP about four listens now. It will be kept near the turntable, I can assure you. My last few posts have been shortened because of the oncoming baseball season. I am busy running around for records on a constant basis as well. The past week has been listens from Curved Air, Frank Turba, and Kraan. The Turba record especially has been played quite a few times, but I have been slacking on the post.

Overall grade for Etudes is A-/loved it. i would chase it down for you. i would chase it down for me.

Labels:


Comments:
I love the song Razorblade by Tirez Tirez and wish it were available on itunes. They have a great song called "Set The Timer", and another called "Uptight" that I love.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?