Sunday, March 11, 2007

 

Northern Star - I

Dead Pidgeon Records & Tapes NS-002 / 1985 - Melodic AOR Rocker from the mid-eighties that delivers some progressive punch. This one isn't far from Journey, and the voice and guitars remind me of something, way back, just can't remember. Oh yes! Kiss' Paul Stanley, around the time of 'Animalize'. The band is from Balmville, NY. The lead singer is Joe Cutrera, and he still records to this day. Also included are Tom Moore, Anton Buck Buckheit, and Bob Mosher. Doing a search about this band brought up this slice of information:----

Feed The Rhino is a melodic rock band from Hyde Park, New York consisting of Joe Cutrera - Vocals, Arthur Papanastasiou - Guitar, Mark Allardyce - Bass, Joe Kelly - Guitar and Mark Massey - Drums.
Their debut CD, I Like It, is superb slice of classic rock showcasing the awesome vocals, stellar musicianship and first rate songwriting of the band.

Feed The Rhino features ex-Loud And Clear bassist Mark Allardyce and sonically the band has a lot in common with the hughly rated AOR act. Early reactions to the album have been fantastic - "One of the best independent bands to arrive at AOR Underground this year. It kinda reminds me of classic Danger Danger, Bone Machine and Tyketto/Vaughn. With a huge sound, tracks like Breaking Down These Walls, I Like It and Getting It are first rate hard rock songs. With Mark Allardyce from cult rock band Loud SAnd Clear in their ranks, great songs and a superb vocalist in Joe Cutrera, this lot should go far." Rob Evans, Powerplay Magazine.

"Singer Joe Cutrera has a tremendous voice very similar to Steve Perry. The funny thing is that some of the members are from Loud And Clear (another great AOR band with the Perry clone Jess Harnell) and now they have this new band with another good singer in the same vein. Life is strange but oh so nice! I LIKE IT-I LIKE IT-I LIKE IT just like the title...." Melodic.net.
"There are some seriously glorious tracks here especially the huge Journey inspired ballad 'Breaking Down These Walls'. The vocals from frontman Joe Cutrera are smooth and silky right up there with the likes of Steve Perry and Kevin Chalfant of The Storm. 'I Like It' is a little like Lillian Axe and Loud 'N' Clear, 'Getting It' is a fantastic upbeat catchy melodic rocker. It's scary how close Cutrera's voice comes close to Tyketto's Danny Vaughn on this track, pure catchy melodic rock bliss...utterly awesome, the heat is definitely on." AOR Dreamzones

----This isn't exactly my cup of tea, however. My copy has the word TONY'S written across the cover, right above the close-up of the eye. On ebay, this item is going off the board as I write this. It was at $13 with less than 25 minutes left, and $42 with 4 minutes left, and ended there. My copy is from the Brooklyn load. I couldn't find it anywhere else, however, suggesting that this one is fairly rare.

Overall grade is a B-/not bad if you are looking for obscure eighties metal/rock with a rare small label. Dead Pidgeon didn't exactly crank out the hits if you follow me. I would sell this copy. I can find a song to use on here, I'm sure of it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?