Saturday, March 10, 2007

 

Mikel Rouse Broken Consort - Jade Tiger

TWI 220 / 1983 - I was very excited to have this record. I had just been constantly listening to the great record by Tirez Tirez called "Etudes" which features Mikel Rouse. Looking around for anything else by this artist, I searched the internet to be shunned by ebay and other such sites, including Amazon. The stuff isn't easy to find. So, I'm standing in my basement, moving some stuff around, and I uncovered this one by the Mikel Rouse Broken Consort. It was recorded in '83, only a few years after the aforementioned gem. Unfortunately for me, this one didn't work quite the same. The repetitive horns blew over minimal keyboard strokes, but the whole thing lacked originality and spark for me. The cover is sparse and intriguing, the LP was pressed in Belgium. My price was a 99 cent Princeton Record Exchange 'forever' sticker on both the cover and label. The cover sticker ripped my jacket. Those guys at PRE suck with those stickers, if you don't already know.

Even though I am tempted to keep this one for collecting sake, I think i will let it go to someone who enjoys the style of 'broken merry-go-round music'. For me, I'll put the "etudes" record back on, and wonder if any second find ever matches the quality of the first.

Overall grade C/ don't seek it out, its just not a winner.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?