Friday, March 16, 2007

 

Accolade - 2

Regal Zonophone SLRZ 1024 / 1971 - This is great! A flute and folk guitar together, similar to a well sung Jethro Tull. Don Partridge, the vocalist appears by himself later in his career. includes Brian Cresswell, Malcolm Poole, and Ian Hoyle. Wizz Jones plays acoustic guitar on four songs, and one of the songs is a Gordon Giltrap cover tune. My favorite song is 'transworld blues' on the first three listens, but I'm sure with repeated turns, this one will offer up many layers of beauty. The front cover artwork is an original painting by David Steele and attracted me to this UK prog/psych record immediately.

I picked up my copy from JH for $40 after we discovered it was going over $100 on popsike. The only copies of this that I could find today included a $279 copy on musicstack, and a completed sale on ebay for $85. The cd has never been offered stateside, but you can get a copy for about $20 from Greece or through Midheaven/Revolver on the Hugo Montes label. Apparently, they reissue just about everything if you look hard enough. This is the second record by Accolade, and now I will need to seek out the first eponymous debut.

Overall grade is an A-/about as much as I could hope for in this time period. It's interesting, well crafted, and timeless to me.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?