Friday, February 02, 2007

 

Sweet Sensation - Sad Sweet Dreamer

Pye Records 12110 / 1974 - Nice Philly Soul eight piece band from the U.K. Discovered by Tony Hatch, this was supposed to be the English version of the Stylistics. I like the falsetto vocals and harmonies, with a flair of early Michael Jackson. The string arrangements are disco styled and pretty, but not always my cup of tea in large doses.

The cover shows a black man in clown makeup. Copies on ebay are non-existent, but Craig Moerer has it for $25. The 45 rpm of the single 'snow fire' are easier to find than the LP. The track is probably the stand out song on the LP, but 'mr. cool' and 'that same old feeling' are also strong tracks. My copy was $2 in Allentown. It was my only purchase today and I can honestly say I am not disappointed, even though this kind of soul isn't my favorite music in the genre.

Overall grade is B-/philly soul enthusiasts need this one/ top notch singing, harmony, songwriting, collectibility/ I don't need to upgrade my scratchy ring worn copy nor seek it out on cd, however. i will probably take 'snow fire' down on a mix tape, its a great song and has a great electric piano intro that leads into a nice soaring guitar, then breaks into funky funky cool dual pianos.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?