Thursday, January 04, 2007

 

James White and the Blacks - Off White

Ze Records 33 / 1979 - this isn't an underground album by any means if you collect in the punk/no wave/new wave/PP categories, but for me, this is my first real introduction. i am in awe. after reading about James White, i went into a long spiral of searches through multiple websites to track down a whole other slew of cd's from artists that i have sadly overlooked including Wire, Black Randy, Theoretical Girls (Glenn Branca), Defunkt, Malaria, and Swell Maps to name a few. I don't even care if I can listen to some of them, I just need to finally say that I have gotten the core of the category for listening. My ass was so crammed with my head in 1979. How else could albums like this "off white" slip by me for 27 years? I have seen other James White, James Black, and Contortions records go by before, and I almost let this one slip through, too.

Its punk, funk, white funk, awesome, and awesomer. My copy was just purchased for less than 1- at a thrift, but that's another story. overall grade A-/original/inspiring/perfectly able to annoy most but gets more beautiful minute by minute. the cd has already been ordered (for too much) from half.com and i expect to make this driving music of the highest order.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?